top of page
  • Writer's pictureTraci Wilkerson Steckel

National Poison Prevention Week: Household Products

Updated: Dec 11, 2020

Taking harmful household cleaners out of the home is a great way to prevent your pets from accidental poisoning.

Although Saturday is the last day of National Poison Prevention Week, today is the last day we discuss one of the topics on what your pets could potentially have an accidental poisoning from and how to prevent it.

Tomorrow we are open to discussing anything you’d like to know more about; just send me an email with your topic or questions to

When it comes to cleaning our homes, we have so many options for cleaning products. I grew up with Bleach and Pinesol, Fantastic and Ajax being some of my parents’ favorites. I’ve actually grown up loving the smell of Pinesol and Bleach and added Fabuloso to the list as well. I think many of us feel like if our home smells clean, it is clean. If you think about it, even companies picked up on this and have created products for us to spray on our couches and clothes to make them smell fresh, only covering up odors and adding more dangerous chemicals in the air for us and our pets to breathe, that eventually fall to the floor for our pets to walk on or lick.

Image by <a  data-cke-saved-href=";utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=3977589" href=";utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=3977589">Michael Tavrionios</a> from <a  data-cke-saved-href=";utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=3977589" href=";utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=3977589">Pixabay</a>

“The cleaning products that we grew up with, those that our mothers and their mothers used are just as harmful to your lungs as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. So think how harmful they are to your pets and your children.” Laurie Hopps, Clean Living Consultant.

This being said, I know that we still have a few cleaning products in our home that are not the best to use, and I’m slowly transitioning out from using them. Until then, and like most of you out there, here are just a few precautions I take when I need to use them.

We have a “quiet” home. The doggies are older, so not many are wandering around, and we don’t have kids, so dust is the only real culprit for getting our floors dirty. When I mop, I only use steaming hot water. But, if I have to clean up a little doggy accident and go into the grot, I’ll use a little cleaner.

First, I’ll open the windows (even if it’s cold), then set up the doggy fence to prevent the pups from coming into the area. I’ll dry up the puddle with a dry towel, then wipe down the area with a towel that’s been dipped in steaming hot water, then use a little cleaner in the grout and repeat the wipe down with a steaming hot towel.

Whenever you ever need to use a cleaning product to clean the floor, it is always best to open the windows for ventilation and either contain your pets in another room or use a fence or baby gate. You do not want their paws or tongues coming into contact with the cleaner. Breathing in the fumes is not safe either. If you use cleaner on the floor wherever you feed them, start using placemats under their food or water bowls. This way, they never come in contact with the floor.

I'm proud to say that our home is almost a "safe-cleaner zone" and glad there are some safer products out there. “Thankfully, there is a cleaning line that is safe for you, your home, your children, and your pets. The products DO NOT contain bleach, ammonia, abrasives, formaldehyde, parabens, or any other toxic chemicals. No childproof caps are required by the FDA because there are no toxins in the products. The products contain 100% biodegradable ingredients, and they WORK!! You'll have a clean home, clean streams, and a clean conscience”. Laurie Hopps, Clean Living Consultant

If you are interested in checking out this line of cleaning products, please visit Laurie’s Facebook Page, and she’d be happy to speak with you about transitioning your home into a safer environment for your pets!

Bergamot citrus is dangerous to dogs.

Remember, even lines that are free of chemicals still might have essential oils that are toxic to pets like pine and citrus. Always consult with your veterinarian by giving them a list of ingredients and getting the okay.

If you suspect that your pet has been accidentally or intentionally poisoned, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

Here is the number for ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center as well: (888) 426-4435

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page